Tuesday, April 05, 2005

By Popular Demand: Dead Popes!

I really don't have a whole heck of a lot to share about the Pope. I mean, I don't think that he was evil, or that all Catholics are going to Hell or anything.

At the same time, I am not a huge fan of them telling people in Africa that condoms don't work. So, really I am torn. I'm certainly not happy that the Pope is dead, but it wasn't like he was going to live forever.

Thus, I will focus my energy on the ridiculous coverage surrounding the utterly foreseeable death of this extremely rich and powerful man.

So I just looked for the first story I could find, which was this glowing piece on CBS news.

Now, am I the only one out there that thinks it probably isn't such a good idea to start off talking about the Pope's "special connection with young people?" Especially in light of this. (Like the source? I do.)

Hmmm. Who else is noted for having a "special connection" with young people? Oh yes, this guy.

And it isn't just CBS. I have heard lots of people noting JP2's "special connection" with the young-uns. I wonder if this is just innocent stupidity, or a back handed way of reminding us of the Church's recent problems. I actually suspect the latter.

Along that same line, and also in the CBS article, is this line: "Ninety percent of priests are holy, decent men, and they've done nothing wrong[.]"

Gee, only 10% are child molesters? And to think I thought this was a big problem. Heck, that's only 40,000 child molesters!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home